Top 6 Tips for IgA Nephropathy Prognosis2013-08-22 16:34
The incidence of IgA Nephropathy is much higher than other types of glomerulonephritis in many parts of the world. If untreated effectively, IgA Nephropathy may develop to kidney failure. Age, gender, the extent of kidney involvement, high blood pressure, etc, all affect IgA Nephropathy prognosis. Read on to find more information.
1. A minority of patients with IgA Nephropathy can relieve spontaneously because their illness condition is slight and mild. Even though their renal biopsy still shows the kidney lesion, patients don’t have any symptom and the lesion doesn’t cause kidney damage for several decades.
2. The majority of patients have microscopic hematuria and proteinuria for many years. The infections of respiratory tract can aggravate patients’ condition. In this case, the prognosis of IgA Nephropathy is usually bad.
3. If IgA Nephropathy shows Nephrotic Syndrome, it indicates bad prognosis. Nephrotic Syndrome is characterized with proteinuria, swelling, hypoalbuminemia and hyperlipidaemia. It is reported that 10% of IgA Nephropathy patients also have Nephrotic Syndrome.
4. High blood pressure is also an important risk for IgA Nephropathy prognosis. It is reported that about 50% of IgA Nephropathy patients have high blood pressure. If these patients’ hypertension is refractory, their illness condition usually progresses quickly.
5. 10-40% of IgA Nephropathy patients’ illness progresses slowly, and it usually takes about 10-20 years that IgA Nephropathy develops into chronic renal failure. Now, this autoimmune disease has become another leading cause of end stage kidney failure.
6. Some symptoms can reveal the bad IgA Nephropathy prognosis. Old age, refractory hypertension, severe proteinuria, high creatinine level and severe glomerular sclerosis, etc, are all bad signs.
Since the prognosis of IgA Nephropathy changes from person to person, patients should take correct and prompt treatment to improve their overall health, in order to prevent kidney failure or reverse kidney damage.
- Pre: None
- Next: Is IgA Nephropathy Deadly